Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Lights Beam On

The lights of WTC beam on and commemorate today, 9-11.

I noticed it while looking at the traffic light to see if I would be able to cross the street soon and walk a block to drop off laundry and pick up another bag of clean clothes.

I just stood there and looked at it. To me, these beams of light are the best memorial for WTC. Build all kinds of memorials you want, but nothing surpasses these two beams of light which shoot straight upward through the sky as far as they go, as high as you can look up, just like the lights of the fallen WTC used to stand like a beacon for New Yorkers as they walked around the city or were returning to the metro NYC area and saw these two familiar built pillars of lights standing tall and above other buildings in the skyscrape.

The twin towers were a "one-of-a-kind" set of buildings. Nothing can replace them, nor can any memorials truly capture what WTC and the people who died that day and those who died during the following days represented. Nor can it truly portray the workers who worked at Ground Zero, in communities throughout the metro NYC area, families and friends, and more.

If I had my way, I would have these two beams of light shine through the sky every night from the footprints of the Twin Towers. Two simple beams of light say so much more and symbolizes different aspects of 9-11.