Friday, June 24, 2005

Waking Up to Our Annual Red Flying Cockroach

Nice way to finish "waking up" this morning by reading this message from my roommate:

Warning - we have our annual red flying roach (it s called that?) visitor. It s like 2 inches long and emma tried to catch it last night and again this monring. Emma tried to catch it and bite it but the wily roach keeps swatting at her efforts. I cudnt catch it myself to dipose of it properly. Nice email for early in the morning,
no?


Definitely a nice email, my dear roomie. I am now warily eying my cat, Emma. She's been super happy this morning, lying next to me in bed. I was surprised she stayed that long and was in one of her ultra super affectionate purring moods. She was also licking her face and mouth quite a bit. I assumed that it was her bath. Now, I am giving her a certain look with hesitation whenever I see her resume this.

Did Emma successfully catch and devour our annual red flying cockroach while I was sleeping and while my roommates were out?

One way or other, I'm keeping my mouth shut as much as possible and keeping my flip flops on to be on the safe side. I don't want that flying cockroach anywhere near me nor do I want to accidentially step on it. I'll leave it up to Emma to interact with the cockroach and do whatever she wants. (I CANNOT, no matter how I feel towards it, do harm to it although I want it out of my apartment. I pray that it decides to scat down to another apartment or into a crook somewhere.)

I need to shower soon. I'm going to make it a quick yet careful one. See, last year, the red flying cockroach made its annual appearance while I was in the bathroom about to take a shower. I shrieked, grabbed my towel to cover myself and ran out of the bathroom towards my roommate. Emma was summoned and told, "Bug" with a finger pointed in its direction. She was dispatched. My roomie also got into mode and became armed with a broom to try and take care of it. In the meantime, I was curled up on the couch, safely out of reach of the cockroach in case it made its way down the hallway toward the living room.