Saturday, June 25, 2005

Breastfeeding

I believe that breastfeeding is natural. It's a "taboo" in this country in many areas. Many people are not comfortable with seeing a mother breastfeeding her baby. This is one of the most primitive actions in nature.

The other day, someone was watching TV and stomped her feet to get my attention. I looked up and asked, "What?" She said, "Look... look." I looked at the screen and saw an older female politician, a politician Bush was trying to get appointed but met great opposition, speaking. "And???" She said, "Look again! Look who is near the speaker." I looked again and saw a woman holding a baby. "So?" She went on to explain that while this woman was speaking on national TV, there was a woman right next to her breastfeeding her baby. The TV camera was on both women the entire time. I did not see anything wrong with that. The main focus was on the speaker while the nursing mother happened to be in the foreground.

Again, so? No biggie. It's natural for a mother to breastfeed her baby who happens to be hungry at that time. I wonder if anyone at La Leche League noticed this scene on TV. Breastfeeding is a natural thing, and it should not be a taboo or something to be ashamed of in this country.