Monday, December 06, 2004

Subway Adventure

After lunch at Grilled Cheese and visiting another friend's art studio open house, a friend and I headed into Brooklyn together.

Unsurprisingly, we had a subway mishap since trains were running on a weekend schedule. There were no signs advising that the train line we took was going to stop earlier at the last Manhattan stop instead of going into Brooklyn. We were chatting when we realized that we were the only ones on the train. The train was parked on some tracks. We walked to one end to knock on the conductor door. No answer. We walked to the other side. Fortunately, there was a female conductor there. The train was going to turn around in a while back into that station. We'd have to transfer to the downtown side and take a different train into Brooklyn. Sigh.

We finally caught the right train into Brooklyn. I ended up being over a hour late. Fortunately, my friends were "culturally deaf" enough to know to wait for me. Back in the old days, we'd wait for each other, no matter what, knowing that there was a reason or a story behind being late. That was before pagers came on the scene. So, I got into the car, and we vavoomed to a thai restaurant in Manhattan Beach. Later, we returned to a friend's home for some tea and pie a la mode. It was fun talking and looking at pictures until late into the night. I ended up taking a car service back home since it was late at night. I went to bed with a smile on my face since it was nice spending time with close friends.

Now, I can look back and laugh at the subway adventure.