Friday, December 24, 2004

Painted the Town Red!

Wow! My brother and I sure painted the town red over the past few days.

My brother took his first cab ride from the JFK airport to my apartment. He arrived late due to his plane's delayed take-off. There was some kind of dangerous air current pattern, so his plane had to wait before it could take off. He landed safely after a somewhat turbulent ride. We stayed up late chatting before hitting the sack.

Yesterday, we had egg sandwiches from the deli and fed the meter until we were ready to hit the road. We ran errands then checked out Washington Square, East Village, parts of West Village, the United Nations, Midtown, and the Upper West Side. We went to two bar gatherings. My brother enjoyed meeting friends and acquaintances. It really helped that he signed and chatted with them on his own. It was so nice to just kick back and chat. He got to experience socializing in Deafville instead of interpreting for me while in Hearieville. We stayed out late until 4 AM.

By the way, we witnessed a couple pretending to "make out" while they were actually having sexual intercourse out in the public on the street while leaning against the metal wall of a closed store. That in itself is another story for another blog entry. Anyways, when we got home, we talked a bit before bed.

In the morning, I was sleeping on the couch when I felt someone tapping my hand. It was an unfamiliar tap, yet the tap seemed to be coming from a male hand. I was puzzled. I opened one eye to see a Korean guy looking at me with a manual in his hand. He put a paper in my hand to sign. I half got up and just signed what was there while half-staring at the manual he put next to my pillow. He pointed to the wall then he left. He left the signed paper with me. I yelled for him to come back. He didn't come, so I got up and ran after him in the hallway. He was checking his pocket for that paper when he heard me open the door and talk to him. I gave him the paper, then he took off. I looked at the manual and realized he had just installed the Carbon Monoxide Detector. Later, my brother asked how my roommates and I would be able to hear it if it went off. I told him we would see the cats suddenly run then know to get up and look for the source. "What if you are sleeping or the cats get used to the noise and become oblivious to it?" He had valid points.

Anyways, we ended up getting up early. Later, we headed out in the rain and drove up 10th Ave with hungry empty stomaches. We pulled over to a Greek place for a delicious tasty lunch. Just as soon as we stepped into the restaurant, the rain began to come down heavier. Before we knew it, it was raining cats and dogs. After eating, we drove on to Harlem. I gave my brother a little history lesson about 125th Street and stopped by few stores. Later, we headed toward the Museum Mile past Central Park toward Rockefeller Center. I have to admit that I liked it this year while it was raining. There were fewer people. It was something to see the Christmas tree in the rain and people in holiday spirits without worrying about staying with your group or brother. Chris really enjoyed seeing the Swarzovsky Star Light & Music show on the side of the Saks Fifth Avenue building across the street from Rockefeller Center. Chris was delighted to eat a hot pretzel as well. He's like a little boy when buying and eating one. :)

We headed downtown and explored Chinatown, Little Italy, Lower East Side, ABC Village, and Chelsea before heading home.

I really enjoyed spending time with my brother. He's like my best friend. I'm really lucky to have him for a brother and as a true friend.

He's now on the road driving to CT to rejoin Hearieville and spend time with hearing relatives. I will see him on Christmas Day. In the meantime, I'm staying in Deafieville for Christmas Eve.