Saturday, December 18, 2004

Interesting Obituary Error & Quotation

While reading one of the endless emails from deaf-related email subscriptions,(i.e., Deaf Digest, USA-L), I came across a typo error and a line that was quoted. These caught my eye. They were written within an obituary for a deaf person who passed away.

Out of due respect for the deceased, I will not name who this person was. What I will show here is the typo error which I found.... somewhat amusing yet condensing...

"She was employed at the Broward County Courthouse. She worked for many banks over the years. Also was the first Hearing Impeared
girl to pass the Examination
to become a Meter Reader in New Jersey."

This woman was nowhere near the age of a girl. This is what I found insulting at her time of departure.

What I found amusing was the typo - "Hearing Impeared." Impeared is a word that does not exist in the English language. (I checked few dictionaries to verify this.) I like the erroneous word "impeared" better than the word "impaired."

Here is another line that caught my eye within this obituary. Nowhere in this obituary was anything else quoted. Yet, this specific line was quoted: She was a graduate of "The Katzenbach School for the Deaf and class of 1976" in Trenton, NJ. I'm just curious why there was a need to "quote" her school and graduation date.

Everything else within the obituary that was not related to her deafness or deaf identity was not quoted, written in a similar manner/tone, and didn't appear condensing. I don't know if it's just me, but these irked me and caught my eye.

Here is the full obituary with the name and funeral home info deleted out of respect for her and her family.

Obituary of X

X, of Coral Springs, FL went home to be with The Lord on Saturday December 11, 2004. X fought a long and courageous battle with breast cancer.

She was employed at the Broward County Courthouse. She worked for many banks over the years. Also was the first Hearing Impeared
girl to pass the Examination to become a Meter Reader in New Jersey.

Born in Annapolis, Maryland to X and X. She was a graduate of "The Katzenbach School for the Deaf and class of 1976" in Trenton, NJ. She attended Broward Community College. X was a gifted artist, world traveler and a gourmet cook.

She is survived by her loving parents, X and X; brother X and sister X. Predeceased by her beloved cat X. She will be missed by her family forever.

Friends may visit Monday December 13, 2004 between 6/8 PM at X Funeral Home. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Tuesday December 14, 2004 at 11:00 AM at St. X in X. Entombment will follow at X Mausoleum. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Cancer Research Network, Inc., X. Arrangement by: X