Saturday, October 23, 2004

Maya Angelou

I completely forgot about Maya Angelou recently until someone sent me an inspiring and humorous email about Maya's interview with Oprah. The last time I read Maya's work was few months ago while coming across a stationary section devoted to her work in a super Hallmark store in midtown Manhattan.

I used to read Maya's work all the time during high school. Later, I sold her books in order to get money to pay the rent.

It's never too late to remember Maya and her work. Each time I come across Maya and her work, I delight in the rediscovery of her wisdom, love, and beauty as if I never read it again. Her words are like a breath of fresh air every time I read. These words remind me and refresh my memory about how to handle the weather in life and whatever the wind brings. And, how to ride the winds and truly live life.

As you can see, Maya is a woman I look up to - a woman of true strength, courage, love, and humor. She truly knows how to live and make life, regardless of what comes along. Maya is a true woman in her own. She always reminds me about making life, not making a living.

Enjoy below!

In April, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah (on her show) for Dr. Angelou's 74th birthday. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on television, she said it was "exciting."

Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring every day... like her breasts.
They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist first, she said. The audience laughed so hard they cried.

Dr. Angelou also said: "I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Please send this to five phenomenal women today.

If you do, something good will happen: You will boost another woman's self-esteem.

If you don't...the elastic will break and your panties will fall down around your ankles.