Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Cab Driver Known as Mr. Yap

Had a cab driver last name named Patrick Yap. He was on the cell phone when I got into the cab last night. He kept on yapping while I was waiting to tell him where to go. Finally, I just talked anyway.

He opened his mouth and stuck his finger in, looking more as if he was sticking it in to retch. He was actually asking me if I could talk. I decided it was ridiculous, so I just wrote down the destination address on the paper instead of repeating what I just stated. He wasn't listening anyway cuz he was on the phone while listening to me.

While looking out of the window during the ride, I kept on hearing a constant stream of sharp ongoing noises. I looked to realize that Mr. Yap was talking on the phone. I took a closer look and realized he was Asian. Some Asian dialects can be sharp and shrilly, according to what hearing peers informed me. During the entire ride, he kept on talking to the phone. I turned off my hearing aid.

I found it ironic that his last name was "Yap."
His last name basically matched his yapping character.

According to the online dictionary, "yap" means:

Verb
*To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
* Slang. To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.
* To utter by yapping.

Noun
* A sharp, shrill bark; a yelp.
* Slang. Noisy, stupid talk; jabber.
* Slang. The mouth: Shut your yap.
* Slang. A stupid, crude, or loud person.

So, this cab driver was born with an appropriate surname. Thanks for entertaining me last night, Mr. Yap.