Monday, September 13, 2004

Hot Fudge Sundaes

AJ loved Hot Fudge Sundaes. Whenever we went out to eat for lunch or dinner, she always ordered a hot fudge sundae for dessert. If the restaurant didn't offer it on their dessert menu, she humped and let the waiter know how disappointed she was that they did not have such a classic dessert. She did it with class though.

When AJ broke one of her hips during the late 1990s, I visited her in the hospital. I asked her what she'd like. She said, "A hot fudge sundae. They don't serve those damn things in here!" I smiled. Later, I drove out to the nearest Carvel and bought her the biggest hot fudge sundae they sold. I came back. She said, "What the heck are you doing back here? I thought you just left." I grinned cuz I loved the way she cursed and bluntly talked. I took out the sundae and set it in front of her. "That's why the heck I'm back." "Watch your language, Sarah." I simply grinned. She set in to eat the whole thing. She smacked her lip when she was done and said, "That was damn good! Thanks, Sarah."

From there on, I always brought her a hot fudge sundae whenever there was a medical setback, eye surgery, or just because I wanted to.

Two weeks ago, V and I stopped by for a surprise visit when AJ was in the rehab center. I couldn't remember where the Carvel was in that town, so I found a Friendly's and got a small hot fudge sundae. I didn't know how much she could eat, so I got a small one. When V and I swung by, it took her a while to recognize us (due to her blindness and limited vision). She recognized my voice when I started to talk. Her face brighted up, and she grinned before saying, "What the heck are you doing here! I'm so happy to see you!" She was just as happy to see V. (AJ was one of the few in the family who openly knew about V and always asked about her. AJ accepted V as my partner and loved her. That meant a lot to me.) We gave AJ her hot fudge sundae. She grinned and swore while eating it. I just sat there and laughed here and there. I loved the way she swore with class and got away with it.

On Sunday, Mom informed me that when she made calls to AJ's friends, former bank where she worked at, and the American Red Cross, people told her how they all brought her hot fudge sundaes whenever they visited her at the rehab center. I grinned and said, "Dammit. June and her hot fudge sundaes."