Thursday, August 12, 2004

Pampering

I love being pampered. I treated myself to a pedicure and eyebrow wax last night after I left my internship site. I walked and chatted with my supervisor for a short bit which was a treat in itself. I love walking, and it was a great way to kick off my self-pampering night. I always enjoy chatting with my supervisor. She always reminds me about the beauties of life and the heart of people....as well as some of the ugly realities out there and how it affects people...and to turn your responses/knowledge/empathic reactions/pain/anger toward these ugly realities into action and empowerment. Through her and few I've met since January, I've seen and experienced love and the beauties of life and people. It's so nice to see what you feel inside also being shared and experienced with other people. I'm not quite sure how to put it in words here... so I'm just rambling... Anyways, after the walk, I went down into the subway station and rode uptown. By the time I got out of the station, it was pouring outside. I love walking in the rain. When the raining slowed down a bit, I walked and caught the crosstown bus just in time. While crossing 8th Ave, I spotted a tailor/dry cleaning shop, so I got off early and rushed in. The lady there was so nice and honest about the alternation I inquired about for the top half of the 2-piece dress I will wear this weekend. I'll pick it up today. Anyways, after that, I walked few blocks and ended up at my fave hole-in-the-wall nail boutique. I read a book a coworker gave me while waiting for the pedicure and eyebrow wax. The women there were friendly. When I asked about where the bathroom was, I couldn't understand the worker. It was a chain reaction as I walked down the alley-length/type shop toward the back (as the worker pointed). The ladies who were being pampered pointed...one after another... and the workers too.. as I walked down... and found the bathroom. Funny. When I came back, they smiled and gave me a thumbs-up (for finding the bathroom, not for taking care of business, mind you). I thought it was kinda funny. Anyways, back to reading... then I finally received such a nice pedicure. My feet soaked in the feet whirlpool (whatever it's called) for an extra-long time with my nose in the book that my coworker gave me.... while the workers finished up with other ladies. Then, I had such a good thorough pedicure. It's been too long. The eyebrow wax went well too. While my toenails were dyring under the fans, a worker gave me a great neck/back massage. Oh, how I needed that! I think I will go back next week. I came home feeling so relaxed and clean. Now, I've got a biore strip across my nose as I type. It's been a pampering week for me. I plan on doing more self-pampering during the next 2 weeks when I'm finally off from school and internship. Ain't life wonderful?