Saturday, July 17, 2004

Dog Drive

I took Hannah, my beloved silver grey Minature Schnauzer, out for a car ride after I finished helping my parents with their yard sale. Hannah was excited to be in a car with windows down enough for her to stick her head out in the wind as the car went down winding roads. If it was still light out after running errands, I would have taken her to the beach for a romp. I hadn't been to that specific beach since I took my other dog, Charlie, there for her last beach romp and farewell before she was put to sleep 2 years ago. Anyways, Hannah and I went down to the Black Rock Pike to stop by few stores before heading home. It was too dim and dusky for me to drive to the beach. I really enjoyed seeing Hannah happily sticking her head out and wagging her small tail at each person and dog the car passed. By the time we got home, she was tired and went directly to the front door. It took her 9 years to learn how to go straight to the front door without taking long detours through neighbors' yards or anywhere else.
 

Today, while helping my parents with their yard sale, I observed the kind of people who came to the sale. The folks who came in Jaguars, MB, and BMWs were usually the most frugal and cheapest shoppers. The ones who came in older cars and American brands often delighted at the quoted prices and bought more. One rich guy took forever walking around looking at everything while playfully swinging an old wooden bat he eventually bought. It was fun watching the little kids run around and delighting in touching and feeling different things. One small boy found a hat with a fuzzy yarn ball atop, and he just stood there rubbing the ball on his cheek with an appreciative smile. When a mother found sparkly twirling batons with long shiny strings, her daughters ran over with huge eyes and played with them non-stop. Many older ladies were dropped off by their male companions/drivers. The drivers went up the road to the circle thing and came back to park and wait for the ladies to return to their cars. Interesting. The folks were friendly. Their reactions to finding out that I was deaf or hearing my voice answering their lip-read questions/gestures widely varied. Some were sympathic. Some just didn't know what to say, grinned, and walked away. I quickly learned who wld probably do that. Whenever they approached me, I simply pointed them to my parents to talk with them about prices, etc. Some folks just liked to talk with my parents for a long time. Overall, many things were sold. 80% of what wasn't sold by the end of the day went directly to Goodwill and Salvation Army. (Thank goodness because my mother kept on finding things she liked and wanted to keep instead of selling.) 20% of the stuff were put in the basement for storage until the next sale in the fall.
 

I'm staying in town to focus on schoolwork and finally cleaning up that bedroom I no longer recognize. It's not such a pigsty compared to others. I'm usually a neat freak when it comes to bedrooms. But, this one is a tornado-stricken zone for me right now. That will change very soon.
 

My internship will end in about a month. I've really learned a lot during this internship and really enjoy the team I'm interning with. They're seasoned workers who are still learning and growing as workers.  No matter how old you are or how many years you have as a social worker, you still make mistakes, learn from thyself, clients, workers, and the world, ask questions, deal with biases, and are very human. They've known each other for a while, so it's nice to see a coalition of workers who work as a team with complementary skills, trainings, interests, and backgrounds. It really helps me to talk with different workers and learn about their interests, what works and doesn't work for them, their assessment and clinical styles/trainings, and just them as people. Part of me doesn't want to leave. I can imagine working there after graduation. On the other hand, I overall feel ready to leave and move on to a different internship site for more challenges, growth, and training in a different kind of setting with different supervisiors/styles.  The more I learn about differences, the more similarities I see in different lights/angles on different levels within the social work field. It's kinda like a kalidescope (sp?).
 

I think I'll drive back to NYC tonite while there's not much traffic. I love coming into the city at night and seeing the twinkling cityscape and people who walk down the streets at later hours. NYC is so alive 24/7.